Rough Rider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Current Sled:2011 Crossfire 800
  • Favorite Place to Ride:Northern Lower Michigan

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:02 PM

I am looking into buying a set of hand guards for my Z and am wondering what brand everyone prefers? I am currently looking at the Powermadd ones.

#2 mikef7

mikef7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Current Sled:2002 ZRT600

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:30 PM

Have had sportech, powermadd and skinz. Prefer the skinz ( I use the Pro version). Reasons, they actually deflect the wind, can use thinner gloves (even in cold weather) and if it is warm they remove in less than 5 seconds.

2 sizes
Pro - smaller
http://www.sledsolut...products_id=217
Trail - large ones
http://www.sledsolut...products_id=216

#3 Revegade

Revegade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Current Sled:'06 skidoo mxz renegade

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:14 PM

i have rox/powermadd.  they deflect the wind good for me, took a few rides to fine tune the position of them. i like the look of them and they have been pretty durable with the billet brackets.

Attached File  DSC03701.JPG   156.68K   0 downloads

#4 JasonF

JasonF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Current Sled:14 Summit-X 800E-tech
  • Favorite Place to Ride:With Buddies in Backwoods POW!

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

I don't use any handgaurds at all anymore and I really don't notice a difference.  We typically play in the powder all day and when we ride the trail back at night I just switch to an old heavy pair of Doo gloves that I've had for years.
Best part of no hand gaurds is that you can roll your sled down a hill and out of a stuck. :popcorn:

#5 Rough Rider

Rough Rider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:30 PM

I probably should have said this before but I am going for looks mostly. I feel that I have a good pair of gloves. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

#6 snowjunkey

snowjunkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Current Sled:Vintage Assault
  • Favorite Place to Ride:mancelona ,seney

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:23 PM

Go with skinz I have rolled my junk down plenty of hill's.Brand new!

#7 Black05

Black05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Current Sled:Sold sled
  • Favorite Place to Ride:Seney, in da U.P.

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:52 AM

Rox PowerMadd hand guards look the best.  Take a look at this site: http://www.roxspeedf...i?subcat_id=279

#8 Gillett's Motorsports

Gillett's Motorsports

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Current Sled:Elan Prototype
  • Favorite Place to Ride:Up North

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:00 AM

These new Rox Flex-Tec handguards look pretty sweet and it sounds like they will work good, but they retail for $149.95

* Designed specifically for snowmobiles and the needs of trail, racing and mountain use; a must for late-model sleds with reduced wind protection and minimal windshields
    * Provides maximum protection from the elements without interfering
    * Flex-Tec design creates more of a pocket of protection over conventional, flatter guards
    * Durable and flexible backbone allows guard to twist and flex
    * Extended lower flashing keeps wind and cold away
    * Attaches with hook-and-loop strap around handlebar and hook-and-loop pocket on outer end of backbone
    * Simple, 4-position mounting option of guard to billet mount to insure proper placement in front of hand
    * Requires 1/2 in. of exposed handlebar to attach
    * Comes complete with billet mounts, backbone supports, soft guard and all hardware

Attached Files

#9 snow4me

snow4me

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Current Sled:2008 Yamaha Venture 2 Yoop.
  • Favorite Place to Ride:Trailer
  • Interests:Sleeping.

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:25 AM

View PostRough Rider, on Oct 26 2010, 09:30 PM, said:

I probably should have said this before but I am going for looks mostly. I feel that I have a good pair of gloves. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Why add additional weight to the sled if you are only going for looks? Function over form brother.

#10 Rough Rider

Rough Rider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:52 AM

How are the Rox PowerMadd guards different from the PowerMadd guards or are they the same?

#11 Sled Solutions

Sled Solutions

Advanced Member

• Mod
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • Current Sled:2011 Polaris Pro RMK 800 155
  • Favorite Place to Ride:Anywhere it's FRESH!!
  • Interests:Riding!!!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:04 AM

Handguards are much like helmets and riding gear....what type of riding do you do and what do you hope to accomplish with them.

Skinz Heat Lock Handguards are what I've been using now since 2006. Trail riding they work awesome, mild off trail no problem but if you throw yourself around on the sled and eat snow every now and again you will tear the velcro off the ends. I solved the problem by using zip ties through the grommets on the ends. It's just impossible to duplicate the amount of coverage resulting in warmth that the Skinz offer.

The new ROX handguards are really nice but very expensive. I see this as being a great guard for those who want the best of both worlds. Boondocking, trail riding etc.... I will probably switch to these this year but even I have to come to terms with the price.

Standard old rigid mount handguards are mostly for appearance and always have been. They do break some wind but nothing that will be substantial. Now when it comes to protection from ice chunks, tree branches etc...this is where they shine.

Skinz Heat Loc - Trail riders, boondockers who use them to get to play areas and then remove them or back country touring.

Rox Tec - Pretty much will do it all but more then needs to be spent for trail riding. Aggressive riding and durable construction will keep you warm and take a beating.

Standards - If you want to look cool and keep your hands protected from flying objects.

Just my opinion guys, I've used them all (minus the Rox Tec)

#12 Bionic Rev

Bionic Rev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts
  • Current Sled:1200 Ski-Doo
  • Interests:Anything outdoors.

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:01 PM

I have 3 sets is Skinz handguards and while they work well for keeping your hands warm, they move around alot on the bars, as in up and down, especially when criusing down the trail at a good clip.

#13 jjlrrw

jjlrrw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts
  • Current Sled:'10 CF8 SnoPro

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:10 PM

I have the standard powermadd and looking at the front side they have scraps, dings and a few gouges, I do like them for the added protection from the wind but mostly from branches and limbs as I also wear thin gloves and taking a branch across the knuckles in the winter is not a good feeling.

Before deciding make sure there is a mounting system that will work with your sled and decide if they will clear the windshield.

#14 polaris bob

polaris bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Current Sled:2000 XC/SP 700 136"

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

My set up. Blocks the wind just fine for me with thin Sno-x style gloves.  Standard Powermadd with the Rox add on foam extenders. The billet mounts are way stronger than the stock ones. Mount up better also IMO.

Attached Files

#15 Sled Solutions

Sled Solutions

Advanced Member

• Mod
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • Current Sled:2011 Polaris Pro RMK 800 155
  • Favorite Place to Ride:Anywhere it's FRESH!!
  • Interests:Riding!!!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:10 PM

View PostBionic Rev, on Oct 27 2010, 01:01 PM, said:

I have 3 sets is Skinz handguards and while they work well for keeping your hands warm, they move around alot on the bars, as in up and down, especially when criusing down the trail at a good clip.

Donnie,

How old are the 3 pair you have?  Skinz has gone to thicker foam as the industry has gone to raw bars on almost every sled.

View Postjjlrrw, on Oct 27 2010, 01:10 PM, said:

I have the standard powermadd and looking at the front side they have scraps, dings and a few gouges, I do like them for the added protection from the wind but mostly from branches and limbs as I also wear thin gloves and taking a branch across the knuckles in the winter is not a good feeling.

Before deciding make sure there is a mounting system that will work with your sled and decide if they will clear the windshield.

Good point.

View Postpolaris bob, on Oct 27 2010, 01:59 PM, said:

My set up. Blocks the wind just fine for me with thin Sno-x style gloves.  Standard Powermadd with the Rox add on foam extenders. The billet mounts are way stronger than the stock ones. Mount up better also IMO.

I like the flare option, my problem is I'm afraid I'd lose the little snap on deals all the time.  Do you have that problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users